Contact John O. Moeller Now
(563) 323-3014

Juvenile Law

If a minor is accused of committing a delinquent act the charge will usually be filed in juvenile court. More serious offenses and some traffic offenses might be directly filed in adult court. Juvenile delinquency proceedings are decided by a judge without a jury and the rules of procedure and evidence are different than in the adult court criminal proceeding. If there is an a claim that a child is neglected or abused it is likely an agency such as the Department of Human Services will file a lawsuit in juvenile court that well attempt to protect the child and possibly change custody. In some cases this can lead to termination of parental rights.